Implementing Print MIS Part 1
The day comes in every Printing /Mailing company when it is time to evaluate your Print MIS (Management Information System). Over time business needs change and the software running those businesses have to change. Finding the right software to run your company is a daunting task. This two part blog series will how to determine your company’s needs and in the second part how to evaluate software providers.
Preparation is key to the process. The questions below will get you on the path to discover what your company needs and what it wants.
- What specific benefits do you want to receive as a result of from implementing new software?
- Better Communication
- Work flow management
- More online services for customers
- Better Reporting
- What processes does your company have in place now and which are the most disjointed?
- Look for manual people reliant process that can be improved
- Separate documents that are kept to monitor the system
- How will the overall business be impacted by the new software?
- Will it improve communication?
- Will it improve workflow?
- Will it improve reporting?
- What will team members need to do to make the new software a success?
- Who will lead the project?
- How often should the team meet?
- Who should be involved in creating the list of requirements: Finance, Sales, Operations, Human Resources, IT?
- Who needs access to what information and how will the new software help you provide access?
- Outside Sales
- What software is most often used in your industry?
- What is the standard?
- What is the lifecycle on that program?
- Who can you speak to that is using that software platform?
- o How satisfied are they with the software performance?
A system upgrade can be a daunting project. Before looking at actual software companies it is critical to understand the business needs currently and in the future. Know where your company is and where you want it to go lays the foundation for good decision making. More importantly, if you do the pre-work you will be well prepared to take on the challenge!